Antibodies for Research Applications B.V. (ARA) was founded in May 2000 as a monoclonal antibody retail company. The founders are Peter J.K. Kuppen, PhD, and Arko Gorter, PhD, both scientists at the Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC) in the Netherlands. In 2003 Rob Spaan, LLM, joined the company as owner and chief financial officer. In 2008 the company extended its activities towards the development of clinical products and participated in the intraoperative Multi-Spectral Imaging Systems for Radical Tumour Resection (MUSIS) consortium to explore the use of antibodies (and other agents) as probes for fluorescence image-guided cancer surgery.|
|Staff Expertise||Expertise of the staff is development and engineering of proteins (ranging from small synthetic peptides, to antibody-derived genetic constructs and antibodies) for tumour targeting purposes, including conjugation to several types of label (both fluorescent and radioactive labels). |
|Key facilities and infrastructure||Facilities and infrastructure includes (bio)chemical lab, tissue culture facilities, imaging equipment, animal facilities.|
|Previous involvement in Research Programmes||• Project leader of several non-profit grants on immunotherapy of cancer, 1994-2012.|
• Project leader of several industrial grants on diagnosis and treatment of cancer, from 2000-2012.
• Supervisor of 16 theses passed (1994-2013).
|Current Involvement in Research Programmes||• Work package leader of ‘image-guided surgery’ of the Dutch government-funded CTMM project DeCoDe from 2008 -2014. |
• Project leader of probe development in the Dutch government-funded CTMM project MUSIS for clinical translation of image-guided surgery project, from 2010-2015.
• Project leader of several industrial and non-profit grants on search for biomarkers for cancer prognosis/prediction, from 2004-2018.
• Supervisor of 9 theses in preparation.
|Publications||• Schaafsma B.E. et al. J Surg Res. (2013)|
• van der Vorst J.R. et al. Int J Gynecol Cancer. (2011)
• Hutteman M. et al. Eur Surg Res. (2011)
• Boonstra M.C. et al. Curr Pharm Des. (2011)
• Schaafsma B.E. et al. J Surg Oncol. (2011)
• van der Vorst J.R. et al. J Surg Res. (2012)
• Mieog J.S. et al. Ann Surg Oncol. (2011)
• Hutteman M. et al. Eur J Surg Oncol. (2011)
• Hutteman M. et al. Ann Surg Oncol. (2011)
• Mieog J.S. et al. Breast Cancer Res Treat. (2011)
• Mieog J.S. et al. Mol Imaging. (2010)
• Loewik C.W. et al. Eur J Cancer (2009)
Overview of all participants ...