A specialist biomolecular imaging group which provides a unique, state-of-the-art infrastructure for atomic and molecular imaging of surfaces.
|Staff Expertise||Prof Ron Heeren‘s group is currently one of the world leaders in high resolution molecular imaging of biological surfaces. This leading position has been realized through a concerted research effort on three topics (a) the fundamental physics of desorption and ionization of large biomolecules (b) the development of innovative instruments and methods for the generation of ultrahigh resolution molecular images and (c) the development and application of mass spectrometry based molecular imaging to molecular histology for nanomedicine and biomedical research.|
|Key facilities and infrastructure||The mass spectrometry based molecular tissue imaging facility at AMOLF is equipped with a 9.4T MALDI/ESI Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance imaging mass spectrometer, a 7T LTQ-FTICR system for atmospheric ionisation and imaging, a Bruker Ultraflex III ToF/ToF MALDI molecular imager, a Physical Electronics TRIFT II high resolution secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) ToF-MS system, the TRIFT II based AMOLF mass microscope for direct ion imaging with MALDI and SIMS and a Waters MALDI Synapt HDMS system for conformational molecular imaging.|
|Previous involvement in Research Programmes||• EU-STREP Computis, computational tools for imaging mass spectrometry (FP6-LSHG-CT-2005-5181194)|
• EU-IP targeted delivery of nanomedicine MEDITRANS (FP6- 2006, EU IP NMP-26668)
• Marie Curie Early Stage Training Program POLY-MS (MEST-CT-2005-021029).
|Current Involvement in Research Programmes||• BSIK-COMMIT e-biobanking for molecular imaging with mass spectrometry|
• BSIK-NPC, Heeren directs the emerging technologies in mass spectrometry program
• EU-COST BM-1104 MSI: New Tools for Healthcare Research
• STW-OTP 11956 research program on new detections systems for X-ray and particle imaging
|Publications||• Cillero-Pastor B. et al, Arthritis Rheum. (2012)|
• Jungmann J. & Heeren R. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. (2013)
• Chugtai K. & Heeren R. Chem. Reviews (2010)
Overview of all participants ...